Logo
Mike Qadder
The Guardian
British army’s new Ajax fighting vehicle will not be ready until end of decade

Story by Ben Quinn • 5h ago - 21-3-2023

Atroubled £5.5bn programme which is already six years late in building the British army’s new Ajax fighting vehicle won’t be delivered until the end of the decade.

Labour accused the government of failing British taxpayers and troops after the Ministry of Defence confirmed that payments towards vehicles will resume after ministers concluded the programme is “turning a corner”.

Originally intended to enter service in 2017, the programme has been repeatedly delayed, with problems including noise and vibration issues that have injured soldiers testing the vehicles.

After halting payments to General Dynamics Land Systems UK (GDLS-UK) more than two years ago, the MoD said on Monday that it would hand over £480mthis month to the arms company. It said that full operating capability is expected between October 2028 and September 2029, when the army has trained and converted forces to the new vehicle.

Defence procurement minister, Alex Chalk, said in a written statement to MPs that payments would resume with a payment of around half of what has been held back since December 2020.

“Restarting payments to General Dynamics reflects the fact that the programme continues to return to a firm footing and supports the delivery of the schedule to deliver operational capability,” he added.

He said further payments for 589 of the fighting vehicles will be made against a “new schedule and its milestones”.

“The Ajax programme is turning a corner, but this does not remove the need for the department to identify and learn lessons,” he added.

However, John Healey, Labour’s shadow defence secretary, accused the Conservatives of spending billions more on a project which is already six years late and won’t fully deliver until the end of this decade.

“The defence secretary has made Ajax central to the future of the army and the UK’s ability to fulfil our Nato obligations, yet after 13 years and £4bn investment the army has still not got a single deployable vehicle,” he added.

“It is clear the government can’t deliver value for public money or the equipment our forces need to fight. Ministers are failing British taxpayers and British troops.”

The public spending watchdog said earlier this month that the army had been left with ageing armoured vehicles that were expensive to maintain as a result of delays which meant that the MoD had received only 26 vehicles as of December 2021 after paying £3.2bn. The National Audit Office said the MoD and GDLS-UK’s approach was flawed from the start and they did not fully understand the scale or complexity of the Ajax programme.

Action to overcome problems now includes modifications to better isolate the human body through measures including cushioning and the introduction a layered approach to ear protection which includes inner ear pieces so troops can communicate and outer ear protection.

Some 589 Ajax vehicles, assembled predominantly at General Dynamics in Merthyr Tydfil, are due to be delivered to the British army. The whole programme remains within its originally approved budget level, according to the MoD.

Photograph: Ben Birchall/PA
© Provided by The Guardian
3 yr. ago

No replys yet!

It seems that this publication does not yet have any comments. In order to respond to this publication from Mike Qadder, click on at the bottom under it